Re: SPDX short name for "Redistributable, no modification permitted" (firmware)

On Sun, Oct 15, 2023 at 5:13 AM Robert-André Mauchin <zebob.m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a MR on an old package that contains firmware data.
>
> I wanna convert to SPDX, what is the equivalent to "Redistributable, no modification
> permitted" in SPDX.
>
> The license is:
>
> The files in the directory src/miniloader are provided pursuant to the
> following license agreement:
>
>             License For Customer Use of NVIDIA Software
>

> What can I use for SPDX?

The license first has to be reviewed; this will ultimately result in a
license identifier that can be used in place of "Redistributable, no
modification permitted" assuming the license is allowed or otherwise
tolerated. Please open a new issue in fedora-license-data.

I think this would be the first firmware license we would specifically
consider since instituting the new license review process last year.
The policy on allowed firmware licenses is described here:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/license-approval/#_license_requirements_for_firmware
These criteria were based on an analysis of known firmware licenses in
Fedora done sometime around ... maybe 2010 or so? To accommodate this
license we might have to make some additions to those criteria.

We haven't yet had to address the question of how to deal with license
identifiers for firmware. There are three possibilities:
1. Ask SPDX to assign an identifier, the usual approach for allowed
licenses. This is unlikely to be viable because these kinds of
firmware licenses are pretty far from SPDX's license inclusion
criteria (which are generally much looser than Fedora's).
2. Create a unique LicenseRef- identifier for each firmware license.
3. Create an umbrella LicenseRef- identifier for all allowed Fedora
firmware licenses (similar to how 'Redistributable, no modification
permitted' was used in the Callaway system).

Richard