Re: Fwd: SPDX Statistics - Voyager 2 edition

Dne 20. 08. 23 v 11:15 Bob Mauchin napsal(a):
Hello,

Is there a reason we don't use PP power to do it globally?

Yes.

1) non trivial conversion (10k packages to go) - there is no know way because

  a) the license in old system has more options in SPDX standard. E.g.

$ license-fedora2spdx 'BSD'
Warning: more options on how to interpret BSD. Possible options: ['BSD-3-Clause', 'BSD-3-Clause-Modification', 'BSD-2-Clause', 'BSD-2-Clause-Views', 'BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD', 'BSD
-1-Clause']

 b) the license is not on SPDX list yet. Or its part. E.g. previously we had just GPLv3+ but it has some exception at the and so in SPDX it has to be "GPL-3.0-or-later WITH Classpath-exception-2.0". Lots of these exceptions was missing in SPDX list. We are adding 3+ licenses to SPDX every week.

2) trivial conversions (7k packages to go).

While the change can be trivial, there are several things to be considered:

a) No "effective license" analysis. https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/license-field/#_no_effective_license_analysis This changed recently and you should check licensing of your package even without the SPDX change. This cannot be automated with current status of tooling.

b) Surprisingly high amount of packages has "issues". Exceptions in licenses (see above). License is similar to stated liceses, but there are differences that justify new id. Bundled files with different license.

If you know your upstream well and your package is simple then feel free to follow:

$ license-fedora2spdx 'GPLv2+'
GPL-2.0-or-later

and you are done in 30 seconds. But if your project is bigger then we recommend to use https://www.fossology.org/get-started/ (see bottom of page) or scantool, askalono...

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Manager, Packit and CPT, #brno, #fedora-buildsys