Re: License of perl-Data-UUID

On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 6:31 AM Jitka Plesnikova <jplesnik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to update License tag to SPDX format in perl-Data-UUID [1], and
> the Makefile.PL in source is declared as being BSD:
>
>    https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/Data-UUID-1.226/source/Makefile.PL#L75
>
> There is no text which contains any variant of BSD license.
>
> However, it also contains this file:
>
>    https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/Data-UUID-1.226/source/LICENSE
>
> It was approved as HP-1989 [2].
>
> The issue to clarify the license was already reported to upstream [3],
> but it wasn't solved yet.
>
> Current License tag for the package is "BSD and MIT".
>
> Could you please help me to find correct License tag value?
>
> Thank you,
> Jitka
>
> [1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/perl-Data-UUID
> [2] https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/2019#issuecomment-1634809827
> [3] https://github.com/bleargh45/Data-UUID/issues/26

Without some further clarification from the maintainer, I would assume
the references to "bsd" were an attempt to describe the license
(HP-1989 as SPDX now calls it) that is in the LICENSE file, which says
"The same terms apply to this code". It is not uncommon to see "BSD"
used to refer somewhat arbitrarily to old permissive licenses
including ones bearing no obvious similarity to the actual BSD license
family. I would only revise this conclusion if the maintainer said
that later changes were supposed to be under some version of the BSD
license or something like that.

Also it looks like this:
https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/Data-UUID-1.226/source/ptable.h
would be under the standard Perl 5 license?

Richard