Re: Proposal for '/usr/share/licenses/common-licenses/'

Dne 26. 07. 23 v 0:12 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
Yes, that makes sense, although for the *GPL licenses we'd have to use
what SPDX considers to be deprecated identifiers (GPL-2.0, etc.).
However, I would specifically propose *not* using the SPDX plain text
pseudo-renditions of particular license identifiers, which I believe
are generated automatically from XML files and don't really serve the
purpose I have in mind. We should use the license steward-authorized
version of the license in question; so, for example, the file
/usr/share/licenses/common-licenses/GPL-2.0 would be a copy of
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt
For all the licenses I listed, there is a license steward (FSF, and
the Apache Software Foundation) who publishes an official plain text
version of the license in question.

Yes, that makes sense to me.

That does not make sense to me :)

Can you elaborate what is the difference between https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt and

https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/main/src/GPL-2.0-or-later.xml#L17

And if there are really some difference can we rather ask for the change in SPDX? And include in the XML what we need? I really want to avoid maintaining other list of licenses and they relation to SPDX ids.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Manager, Packit and CPT, #brno, #fedora-buildsys