Re: cdecl's unclear copyright

On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 8:24 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Artur Frenszek-Iwicki:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wanted to package the "cdecl" [0] program for Fedora.
> > The upstream repository [1] does not contain any license file,
> > instead describing the licensing situation as follows:
> >
> >> You may well be wondering what the status of cdecl is. So am I. It was
> >> twice posted to comp.sources.unix, but neither edition carried any mention
> >> of copyright.  This version is derived from the second edition. I have
> >> no reason to believe there are any limitations on its use, and strongly
> >> believe it to be in the Public Domain.
> >
> > Looking at other distributions, the program is available in Debian,
> > with the package's license tag saying simply "Public Domain".
> > Meanwhile, openSUSE uses a different fork [2] with some extra features,
> > which has been relicensed to GPLv3.
>
> The Google Groups Usenet archive suggests that the posting date was May
> 1988:
>
>   <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sources.unix/c/yzWbI4agBE0/m/ddqzmuiEidwJ>
>
> (As far as I understand it, dates are relevant in this case.)

Yes, I think so, that was shortly before the US entered into the Berne
Convention. So at that time, if you published something in the US
without a copyright notice it was in the public domain in the US (in
the sense of "true public domain" as I've taken to calling it in the
Fedora context) unless you registered the work within 5 years of
publication. We can make an educated guess that the likelihood that
anyone registered copyright on this code is vanishingly small. We also
apply Fedora's conventions for how to deal with variances in copyright
status across different jurisdictions (though of course that is
somewhat unsatisfying). So I'm comfortable saying that the
comp.os.unix code in cdecl that originates before ~1989 should be
treated as "true public domain" (and in any case was likely intended
to be completely unrestricted, as a matter of background cultural
knowledge). That doesn't address the subsequent changes however. I
would classify those as being somewhat implicitly under a public
domain dedication by the various later authors, where the operative
license text is that paragraph in the README file. So, this should be
submitted as an issue at fedora-license-data as a proposal for
inclusion in the LicenseRef-Fedora-Public-Domain category. Though I
think this is still not formally documented, we do not reflect "true
public domain" in the License: field unless the *entire* RPM is "true
public domain".

Artur Frenszek-Iwicki wrote:
> So, I guess what I'm asking is:
> 1) Would packaging the original "most likely in Public Domain" program be okay in Fedora?

Yes, as addressed above.

> 2) Would packaging the GPLv3-relicensed fork be okay in Fedora?

Yes; I would assume that the SUSE fork is a fork of some of the
earlier post-comp.os.unix versions (that is not clear from Artur's
post) in which case it might end up properly represented as
`GPL-3.0-or-later [say] AND LicenseRef-Fedora-Public-Domain`.

Richard