Re: CoPilot and Fedora packages

On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 8:59 AM Vitaly Zaitsev <vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/03/2023 17:54, Richard Fontana wrote:
> > I am skeptical that Fedora can or
> > should have a single position on all conceivable generative tools.
>
> Any progress on this?
>
> Can we push the Electrum update to Fedora or do we need to move it to
> the RPM Fusion?

Let me know if I have misunderstood something because there is very
limited information in the referenced pull request.

As far as I can tell, this project announced on Twitter that it was
using ChatGPT to help generate some code as some sort of publicity
stunt.

We then have this:
https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum-http/commit/bde9d3b5fbf34623ca04c14eb6b0db6676c5ec52
which if I understand correctly is a commit by the maintainer to add
delimiters around the code that was supposedly generated by ChatGPT,

That code consists of the following trivial JavaScript function:

function formatTime(timeInSeconds) {
    var hours = Math.floor(timeInSeconds / 3600);
    var minutes = Math.floor((timeInSeconds - (hours * 3600)) / 60);
    var seconds = timeInSeconds - (hours * 3600) - (minutes * 60);
    if (hours < 10) {
        hours = "0" + hours;
    }
    if (minutes < 10) {
        minutes = "0" + minutes;
    }
    if (seconds < 10) {
        seconds = "0" + seconds;
    }
    return hours + ":" + minutes + ":" + seconds;
}

If that's all that this is about, I don't think this by itself is a
reason for Fedora to adopt a policy around upstream projects that
claim or are suspected to use ChatGPT, nor does it seem to be a reason
to raise some sort of Fedora-legal obstacle to pushing this update.

As such tools become more widely and extensively used and become much
more sophisticated, we may have reason to revisit this issue.

Richard