Re: Package db-ip lite database

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 3:45 AM Ingvar Hagelund
<ingvar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Fedora Legal
>
> Back in 2019, the new GeoLite2 license made the Maxmind GeoLite
> database non-free, see bugzilla #1786211. As Carl George states in the
> bug, there does exist a drop-in replacement from db-ip.com, using the
> same database format. According to its homepage, it uses a Creative
> Commons license. Would it be acceptable for Fedora?
>
> From https://db-ip.com/db/lite.php
>
>   The free DB-IP Lite database by DB-IP is licensed under a Creative
>   Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
>
>   You are free to use this database in your application, provided you
>   give attribution to DB-IP.com for the data.
>
>   In the case of a web application, you must include a link back to
>   DB-IP.com on pages that display or use results from the database.
>   You may do it by pasting the HTML code snippet below into your code :

My quick reaction: The 'web application' paragraph is an additional
restriction not embodied in CC  BY 4.0 itself. So this has to be
analyzed as a new license and the answer as to whether it should be
allowed in Fedora isn't immediately obvious to me (my inclination
though is that it is problematic). Please submit an issue at
https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data (see
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/license-review-process/ ).

Richard