Re: Who wants to try matching these?

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 11:32 AM David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The second is timegm.c from NetBSD as well, but this might just be for fun
> because here's all we get in that file:
>
> /*      $NetBSD: timegm.c,v 1.3 2005/05/11 01:01:56 lukem Exp $ */
> /*      from    ?       */
>
> Ha!

Just from some quick digging into NetBSD, I don't think the "from   ?"
means "I don't know what license this is under" but rather possibly
something like "I don't know what the counterpart file name was to
this file in ancestral versions of BSD". I could be wrong about that.

Without digging further, and you haven't mentioned what Fedora package
this is, I'd probably assume that this was supposed to be under
whatever default license was in place for NetBSD in 2005. Maybe it's
not so simple though. We definitely need to address the "how deep
should I dig" issue in our documentation. :)

> The third one is from snprintf.c in NetBSD:
>
> /*
>  * Copyright Patrick Powell 1995
>  * This code is based on code written by Patrick Powell (papowell@xxxxxxxxxx)
>  * It may be used for any purpose as long as this notice remains intact
>  * on all source code distributions
>  */
>
> Right.... so???

That is a license that should be submitted for Fedora approval. It
would not qualify for "UltraPermissive" so if allowed it would then
need to be submitted to SPDX. (For this one, I'm pretty confident we
would treat it as allowed.) This one might have qualified for
"Copyright only" under the Callaway system.

Richard