Re: Here's another couple

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 12:06 PM David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> xmalloc.c from tmux:
>
> /*
>  * Author: Tatu Ylonen <ylo@xxxxxxxxx>
>  * Copyright (c) 1995 Tatu Ylonen <ylo@xxxxxxxxx>, Espoo, Finland
>  *                    All rights reserved
>  * Created: Mon Mar 20 22:09:17 1995 ylo
>  *
>  * Versions of malloc and friends that check their results, and never return
>  * failure (they call fatal if they encounter an error).
>  *
>  * As far as I am concerned, the code I have written for this software
>  * can be used freely for any purpose.  Any derived versions of this
>  * software must be clearly marked as such, and if the derived work is
>  * incompatible with the protocol description in the RFC file, it must be
>  * called by a name other than "ssh" or "Secure Shell".
>  */
>
> Which to me means this originated from the original ssh, not that that's
> relevant.  Just historical.  So how does this one match?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't match anything currently on the SPDX license list.

This would not be surprising. One of the main reasons why Fedora
resisted using SPDX identifiers for so long was that the SPDX license
list had pretty poor coverage of the range of licenses found in Linux
distributions, especially for relatively old code. Of course now we
are trying to remedy that situation.

The first step here is to submit an issue to fedora-license-data to
determine whether the license is allowed for Fedora. We can't assume
that a license is allowed merely because Fedora has actually been
distributing code under the license for a long time (although that is
a relevant consideration). In this case, the allowability of the
license is not immediately obvious because that naming restriction is
pretty unusual.

If the license is allowed then it would have to be submitted to SPDX
because (if I'm right) it doesn't match a current SPDX license-list
license. This license would not qualify for the "UltraPermissive"
umbrella LicenseRef.

Richard