Re: Who wants to try matching these?

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 5:33 PM David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The first is from strlcat.c and strlcpy.c from NetBSD:
>
> /*
>  * Copyright (c) 1998 Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  *
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
>  * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
>  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
>  *
>  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND TODD C. MILLER DISCLAIMS ALL
>  * WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES
>  * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL TODD C. MILLER BE LIABLE
>  * FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
>  * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
>  * OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
>  * CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
>  */
>
> (Todd Miller is also the author of sudo, so I would not be surprised if he has
> code like this in sudo as well.)

This one is, as far as I can tell using askalono, a perfect match for
the ISC license (https://spdx.org/licenses/ISC.html)
License: ISC (original text)
Score: 0.932

> The second is timegm.c from NetBSD as well, but this might just be for fun
> because here's all we get in that file:
>
> /*      $NetBSD: timegm.c,v 1.3 2005/05/11 01:01:56 lukem Exp $ */
> /*      from    ?       */
>
> Ha!

This looks ... incomplete? :)

> The third one is from snprintf.c in NetBSD:
>
> /*
>  * Copyright Patrick Powell 1995
>  * This code is based on code written by Patrick Powell (papowell@xxxxxxxxxx)
>  * It may be used for any purpose as long as this notice remains intact
>  * on all source code distributions
>  */

Askalono was not helpful here:
Error: Confidence threshold not high enough for any known license
Processing error: Confidence threshold not high enough for any known license

Looks like a "custom" license.

Fabio