Re: License compliance in fedora-review

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 2:04 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 2:47 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > It's fine that SPDX doesn't offer this guidance, but Fedora as a
> > distributor *needs* it. Fedora provided very valuable guidance with
> > its "will-it-blend" chart and offering explicit interpretation. It was
> > useful for both packagers and upstreams to figure out what they can
> > and cannot do. Eliminating that guidance is creating problems now
> > because with the transition to SPDX, you're effectively requiring
> > everyone to re-evaluate all packages for their licensing and document
> > it without any real ability to figure out if it makes any sense
> > anymore.
>
> In my opinion, the default assumption (and I think we should say this
> in documentation) should be that if the licenses are all
> Fedora-allowed, a particular combination of licenses embodied in a
> particular package is okay.  If there are specific concerns about some
> combination of Fedora-allowed licenses that package maintainers or
> others want to raise, they can do so and this will be investigated.
> Over the past nearly 15 years, most of them under the previous
> documentation/guidance/process regime, my impression has been that
> such concerns were raised only in very rare cases, typically involving
> a well known upstream issue.

I suspect part of the reason is because Tom Callaway proactively
documented compatibility as part of incorporating licenses. That
eliminated a large portion of the need to ask. Now that the
information is gone, people are asking. :)

> The migration to SPDX has been under way now for ~five months and
> Benson's issue is the first time I'm aware of that anyone has brought
> up a license compatibility issue in a Fedora package during that time
> period, FWIW.
>
> I think you've raised an interesting philosophical question, which is
> whether FOSS licensing is supposed to "make sense" beyond the mere
> juxtaposition of the various licenses that apply to some set of
> binaries or source files. I have some preliminary thoughts on this but
> will have to think about it some more. :)

I'd argue that it's supposed to make sense, or otherwise people can't
reasonably use it. Part of the value of a distribution is sorting this
mess out for people. :)