Re: License compliance in fedora-review

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 12:45 AM Benson Muite <benson_muite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fedora-review has a license check component that lists license types
> available in a package.  However, not all licenses are compliant with
> each other. A chart indicating which licenses can be included with other
> licenses is available at:
> https://dwheeler.com/essays/floss-license-slide.html
> Would it be possible to create a similar chart for all SPDX identifiers
> that can be used in Fedora?  This would enable adding such a check to
> fedora-review.

Hi Benson,

Fedora used to maintain in its old license list an indication of
whether a "good" license was GPLv2 and (separately) GPLv3 compatible.
We thought this over carefully but decided not to continue this
practice in the migration of this data to the fedora-license-data
repository. This despite the fact that a lot of careful thought went
into those determinations (such that I think the preserved record of
those determinations has some significant historical value for GPL
interpretation). We did this because in essentially no real-world case
was the information ever used to take any action with respect to an
actual or proposed Fedora package.

As for compatibility of arbitrary licenses more generally: If I'm
counting correctly, Fedora now has 286 licenses in the simple
"allowed" category (corresponding to the old "good [for software]"
category) and this is expected to increase substantially with the
ongoing migration to use of SPDX identifiers. So it is basically
impractical if not impossible to maintain any useful, well-reasoned
set of context-free compatibility relationships for each Fedora
allowed license with respect to any other arbitrary Fedora allowed
license.

Any Fedora community member who has a concern about a license
compatibility issue involving a specific Fedora package or proposed
Fedora package is encouraged to raise it (probably most appropriately
in a Bugzilla bug) and it will be looked at in a context-specific way.
This context-specific analysis will consider not only architectural
issues (of the sort referred to by Miroslav) but also the licensing,
development and political history of the code at issue and general
relevant FOSS community practices. If it will prove useful we will try
to document some generalized conclusions in the Fedora license
documentation.

Lastly, I would suggest taking past promulgations on the general topic
here by commentators with a fairly enormous grain of salt.

Richard