Re: Guidelines for dealing with licensing issues in distributed packages

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 3:19 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Jilayne Lovejoy:

> >> Create an issue in https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/
> >>
> >> And the license may be added to not-allowed list. See
> >> https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/issues/?sort=created_date&state=all&label_name%5B%5D=license%3A%3Anot%20allowed&first_page_size=20
> >>
> >> And in that issue you can discuss what to do with the package if it
> >> already in Fedora Linux.
> > the process for license review is outlined at this particular link:
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/license-review-process/
> >
> > :)
>
> Thanks.  I'll keep filing fedora-license-data issues until told
> otherwise.

I think we can make that documentation a little clearer that the
license review process can be initiated by any interested Fedora
contributor (not just actual/intended package maintainers), for
existing as well as proposed new Fedora packages. What we don't want
is for it to be used for substantially non-Fedora-related purposes
(e.g. a license for which review is sought should demonstrably exist
in an existing Fedora package or a project that (but for any license
issues) seems likely to be included in Fedora).

Richard