Re: Request to stop hobbling crypto libraries

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 9:31 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 7:57 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Neal,
> >
> > Thanks for raising this here. I saw some of the thread on devel, but when thread get long, it's sometimes hard to know what the specific ask is.
> >
> > To that end, could you provide a bit of a description as to what is currently being done in terms of "hobbling" OpenSSL? Just a high-level description would be helpful for context and a reminder as to the current state.
> >

> The hobble-openssl script was designed to prune from the OpenSSL
> source code a number of cryptographic algorithms that were patent
> encumbered. Over the years, the script has been pruned of things to
> purge as patents expired. However, the remaining things the script
> indicates it prunes today all expired during the pandemic. Currently,
> it prunes Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC, or otherwise called EC
> crypto) code. The script documentation indicates the patents related
> to it expired in 2020, so we should be able to drop it entirely.
>
> > Also, am I correct to assume that by "use pristine OpenSSL sources" - the desired outcome it to be able to package OpenSSL for Fedora straight from the upstream project without needing to remove something or otherwise modify the upstream source in order to package it for Fedora?
> >

> Yes.

The same applies to nettle ... their "hobbling" script removes code
for some elliptic curves, some of which are actually already enabled
in OpenSSL. It would be great if nettle could use "un-hobbled"
sources, as well.

For example, I need to manually patch the nettle bindings for Rust to
remove wrappers for these functions ... they're not used by Sequoia
OpenPGP, but it's still a lot of manual work for nothing.

Fabio