Re: SPDX progress

On Mon Sep 19, 2022 at 9:22 AM CDT, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> I was curious how many packages are already converted to SPDX.
>
> I downloaded all spec files and count how many of them contains "spdx" string (case insensitive). Assuming most
> packagers mention it either in changelog or in comment near License field.
>
> The string is in 347 out of 23155 spec files. That is less than 2% of packages.
>
> It is wild guess with many incorrect of assumtions, but I guess the order of magnitude is correct.
>
> That is just FYI. I will not do anything to progress faster, because `fedora-license-data` has enough issues (and mainly
> flow of new issues).

FWIW, here are two other possible metrics:

$ rg -l '^License:.*(AND|OR|WITH)' | wc -l
394

This assumes that packages with SPDX identifiers will have uppercase
boolean operators if they are multi licensed. It of course doesn't cover
single licensed SPDX packages.

I was also curious how many packages are automatically compliant due to
identifiers that are the same between Callaway and SPDX. This yields a
much larger number.

$ rg -l '^License:\s*(MIT|Unlicense|Beearware|WTFPL|MIT-0|Zed|0BSD|OpenSSL|Ruby|PostgreSQL)$' | wc -l
4636

(There are probably more cases. I didn't bother to iterate over the
entire license list to find all of the cases of shared license
identifiers. I did this by hand.)

Maybe I'll write a script to get more accurate metrics if I find some
spare time, but as you said, there are more important issues to deal
with.

--
Maxwell G (@gotmax23)
Pronouns: He/Him/His