Re: license submissions to SPDX on behalf of Fedora

On 8/30/22 3:11 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
Hi Jilayne,

All but a few of these came out of my own research into certain Fedora
packages or the "Callaway" licenses previously analyzed by you and I
think others on the SPDX-legal team. As such, they are all very low
priority from my perspective. The priority should be given to any
licenses submitted by actual Fedora package maintainers. I think there
have only been a couple of those so far. In one or two cases I
submitted a license on behalf of the Fedora package maintainer. Those
should be higher priority. Generally, though, if I submit something to
SPDX-legal it is (from my perspective, at least) low priority. I think
it should be easy to identify the (so far) few high priority ones but
I can help with that if needed.
Saw your comments as to what is low priority v. high in the SPDX issues, thanks, that's helpful! I've tagged them for upcoming milestones accordingly.
BTW: I am pretty sure only a small percentage of Fedora package
maintainers are subscribed to this list. I don't believe it is
considered mandatory or even recommended for Fedora package
maintainers to do so and I think many may not even know this list
exists!
good point, maybe I'll repost to devel later...

In the fedora-license-data project, I have been using the labels
SPDX::blocked for any case where a license is determined (or already
known from the Callaway era) to be 'allowed' and it has been submitted
to SPDX in order to get an SPDX identifier as described in our
documentation, and where we don't seem to have a final decision from
SPDX yet. I am not using SPDX::blocked to mean "major event holding
things up". If anyone thinks there is better terminology to use here
I'm all ears. :)
thanks for the description. I just went through all the MRs and labeled them to be able to pull some data, so I have some thoughts I should jot down on this, so we are using the labels consistently.
I do think it is very important to have a label
showing that things are halted on the Fedora side until SPDX takes
action, because that is a critical and, frankly, controversial element
of the process we decided to set up: Fedora blocks on SPDX adding new
license identifiers, probably the first time in Fedora's history when
Fedora packaging processes have been dependent on actions taken by an
external project/team. I will admit that I am a little skeptical about
whether that is going to work out ultimately but so far (a month into
the new process) it has been OK.
yeah, I guess if we wanted to see where "block" meant waiting, then the current use of the labels doesn't catch that. but then maybe it's not worth the time to get that granular, as we'll kind of know more generally?

Regarding 2, I would be happy to help with this but haven't had time
to look into what has to be done. I assume it involves XML and I have
always hated XML aesthetically so that is partly why I have not
contributed any work on the files yet. :)
well, I did one and we can look into getting more help - it's not hard, if I can do it! ;)

J.
Richard