Re: Good/bad dual licenses in Fedora packages

* Richard Fontana:

> Is anyone aware of any Fedora package where there is a (disjunctive)
> dual license, where one side of the dual license is a not-allowed
> ('bad') license, *not* involving the familiar GPL/Artistic dual
> license of the Perl community? By this I don't mean what's in the
> license tag but the actual license granted upstream.

Do parts of ghostscript qualify?  For example, contrib/gdevdj9.c:

| /*
|    Copyright (C) 2000 <Rene Harsch, Switzerland>
|    written by <Rene Harsch rene@xxxxxxxxxx>
|          modification by Mark Burton <markb@xxxxxxxxxx>
|
|    Portions Copyright (C) 1999 Aladdin Enterprises.  All rights reserved.
|
|    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
|    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
|    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
|    (at your option) any later version.
|
|    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
|    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
|    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
|    GNU General Public License for more details.
|
|    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
|    along with this program; if not, write to:
|
|    Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
|    51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
|    Boston, MA 02110-1301
|    USA
|
|    This program may also be distributed as part of Aladdin Ghostscript,
|    under the terms of the Aladdin Free Public License (the "License").
|
|    Every copy of Aladdin Ghostscript must include a copy of the
|    License, normally in a plain ASCII text file named PUBLIC.  The
|    License grants you the right to copy, modify and redistribute
|    Aladdin Ghostscript, but only under certain conditions described in
|    the License.  Among other things, the License requires that the
|    copyright notice and this notice be preserved on all copies.
|  */

dcmtk also has a complicated licensing situation.  The COPYRIGHT file
says this in part:

| The files ofstd/include/dcmtk/ofstd/ofxml.h and ofstd/libsrc/ofxml.cc are
| derived from the XMLparser library, which is covered by the following
| copyright:
|
| /*
|  * Copyright (c) 2002, Frank Vanden Berghen
|  * All rights reserved.
|  *
|  * The following license terms apply to projects that are in some way related to
|  * the "DCMTK  project", including applications
|  * using "DCMTK  project" and tools developed
|  * for enhancing "DCMTK  project". All other projects
|  * (not related to "DCMTK  project") have to use this
|  * code under the Aladdin Free Public License (AFPL)
|  * See the file "AFPL-license.txt" for more informations about the AFPL license.
|  * (see http://www.artifex.com/downloads/doc/Public.htm for detailed AFPL terms)
|  *
|  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
|  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
|  *     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
|  *       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
|  *     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
|  *       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
|  *       documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
|  *     * Neither the name of Frank Vanden Berghen nor the
|  *       names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
|  *       derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
|  *
|  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY Frank Vanden Berghen ``AS IS'' AND ANY
|  * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
|  * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
|  * DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL <copyright holder> BE LIABLE FOR ANY
|  * DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
|  * (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
|  * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
|  * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
|  * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
|  * SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
|  */

But that isn't really dual-licensed under a bad license, it is licensed
under a bad license?!  (I think this is a bit of a problem with this
sort of question, it leads us to realize that things are packaged in
Fedora which shouldn't.)

<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Bad_Licenses> has this
piece of information:

| Please note that while the "gSOAP Public License" is non-free, the
| "gSOAP Toolkit" is dual licensed as GPLv2 or gSOAP Public License.

I quite don't see what makes gSOAP's license.pdf non-free, although it
seems to rule out private source/binary distribution.

Thanks,
Florian