Re: process for review of licenses

Dne 09. 06. 22 v 19:27 Jilayne Lovejoy napsal(a):

On 6/9/22 10:01 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 01:03:27PM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Dne 08. 06. 22 v 19:58 Jilayne Lovejoy napsal(a):
Is is possible to follow the repository somehow? Not sure. If that is not the case, it would be useful if note about the issue was sent to this ML. Or
the discussion was forwarded here.
This draft doesn't specify a specific git forge, but it seems all of them
allow subscribing to issues and/or pull requests.
in my draft that will go on the documentation page, there is a hot link, but that gets stripped out in text email :)
but yes, all links where appropriate!

as for following the repo - I know this is easy to do as an individual, but I can't see how that would translate to having a mailing list follow a repo. I don't think that would work and would create a lot of noise on the mailing list.

part of the point of the process change is to leverage using the repo now that the license data is in a repo! instead of email which is harder to follow on a specific issue (yes, a non-developer, lawyer-type just said that!!).

What would you want to see specifically on the mailing list? Maybe an "announcement" of sorts when a new license review is completed? but then the license would show up on the list of licenses once the MR is merged... so maybe there is a way to "watch" those pages?

ok, I just raised more questions... this might be something we look at *after* the documentation is published as it's kind of hard to "picture" at this point.

The main thing is - does anyone have issue with changing the process to use issues and MRs for license review (rather than solely the mailing list)?

I'll provide just generic answer here, sorry ;) I am member of at least two MLs (ruby-core and rpm-maint), where maybe 99% of content is notification from bug tracking systems and the rest is the original ML content. And this works well IMO.

Maybe I wonder (similarly to you) what would be purpose of this ML, if all discussion happens in some issue tracker.

But this is not super important issue :)

Vít