Re: Third-party repositories

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 9:00 AM Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 9:29 PM Vitaly Zaitsev <vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > We can't ship RPM Fusion because it contains patent-encumbered and
> > proprietary software, right? But at the same time, we can ship Flathub
> > which contains the same software. I can't understand that.
>
> Last I knew, rpmfusion also ships software which includes
> software for which the repo does not have redistribution
> rights(*), and software whose primary purpose is for dmca
> circumvention(**).
>
> While the issue of patent encumbrances is related, these
> are also different considerations for which counsel will
> need to render their advice in terms of acceptability.
>
> Given the large variation across jurisdictions regarding
> IP laws/regulations, the answer is often not clear cut
> or obvious to those not steeped into the depths of IP law
> (and, of course, two different lawyers might come to
> subtly different recommendations from the same set of
> facts).
>

> (*) As I recall, packagers for flathub must be able
> to show redistribution rights, or download the related
> files via an alternative mechanism (which flathub
> does provide a mechanism to accomplish during
> install).
>
> (**) And this gets into weeds about redistribution of
> such software vs simply using such software, and
> whether referencing/linking to such content is an
> issue.  Which may also vary between jurisdictions.

This is also a bit murky with Flathub, as the download doesn't happen
on the local user's side with extra-data-download, it happens in
Flathub and repacks it server-side. That means Flathub is doing
redistribution. I can see a few examples where this is obviously problematic.