Re: SPDX identifiers

On 1/10/22 8:59 AM, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 10:18:05AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 10:13 AM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mathew and Richard several times in past days mentioned intention to migrate to SPDX identifiers in Fedora.

Is somebody actually working on this? Is there some ETA? Or is it just "intention".

It's being figured out primarily by Jilayne Lovejoy (RH/SPDX), David
Cantrell (FESCo), and myself (FESCo/FPC).

Yes, and the two main concurrent activities at the moment are:

1) License tag research and normalization in to the central data git project.

2) Review, revise, and review again on the text changes for the Fedora
packager guide.

Thanks,

To add a bit more detail to David's email - there are a few interconnected tasks that then incorporate various sub-tasks. Here is an attempt at a high-level, yet quasi-detailed description:

1) move license info off the wiki to Docs where all the other Fedora documentation now lives:  there are kind of two (at least) components to this effort:    a) moving the "good" and "bad" license data into an actual data format (instead of tables on a wiki page) that is more amenable to being machine-readable. From that data, we can then generate a similar "display" text on the Documentation. This also allows more people to contribute to the effort of maintaining this data. David is working on getting this set up with support from myself on making sure all the SPDX identifiers are mapped correctly. - and yes to Bryan's later question on this thread, tooling can then be written against this.

  b) moving the rest of the Licensing info on the wiki and, in the process, giving it a review with the aim of any needed updates, as well as improved organization. Mainly this page in particular - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main but other wiki pages that are related as well.  Richard Fontana is having a look at this and you'll probably see some more emails from him here on some proposed updates.

 c) Of course there needs to be a location for all of the above to live - Matthew Miller has kicked off the process of getting that created, so I expect somewhat soon, you may see some "pages under construction" as that gets set up and the actual move begins.

2) Adopt use of SPDX identifiers in License: field of spec files
  a) this requires updates to the packaging guidelines (PR in the works to this effect here: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-request/1142

  b) This also requires a mapping of SPDX identifiers to all the "Good Fedora licenses, which had been mostly done by SPDX-legal team many years ago and which I recently updated. And then a way for that to be captured in the Fedora good/bad license lists. See 1(a) above

So, basically, all of this needs to "go live" in some kind of coordinated timing.

As for Miroslav's question as to timing... Given this is a team effort, I'm hesitant to put a date in writing (and I'm also likely to be too optimistic in that way ;) - but I think it's fair to say that things are underway and we have some momentum and interest, so there is motivation to get this moving. Naturally, if there are people who want to help in some way or there are easy ways to help, watch this space!

Thanks,
Jilayne