Re: Boolean logic in license

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 10:24 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gotcha. Here's where I think we've ended up in terms of proposing some
> revised text for the package guidelines, let me know if you agree and
> would be good to get some package maintainers input as well!
>
> ***
> Dual Licensing Scenarios
> If your package is  licensed under a choice of two (or three, etc.)
> licenses and both
> licenses are "good" for Fedora, the License: field must reflect this by
> using "OR" as
> a separator. Note that this only applies when the contents of the
> package are actually
> under a dual license, and not when the package contains items under
> multiple, distinct, and independent licenses.
>
> Example: Package libfoo is dual licensed as Mozilla Public License v1.1
> and GNU General Public License v2 or later. The package spec must have:
>
> License: MPL-1.1 OR GPL-2.0-or-later
>
> If your package is licensed under a known choice of two licenses and one
> is a "good"
> license and one is a "bad" license, then the License: field must reflect
> the "good" license only.
> You are encouraged to include a comment memorializing the upstream
> licensing choice.
>
> ***
>
> I took out the example altogether. At this point, I'm thinking it's not
> really necessary?

I think this looks OK, without the good|bad example. But agreed that
it would be good to get feedback from people actually involved in
Fedora packaging. For example, I wonder if this
statement is hard to understand for people not sufficiently steeped in
FOSS licensing:

"Note that this only applies when the contents of the
package are actually
under a dual license, and not when the package contains items under
multiple, distinct, and independent licenses."

In many cases (I'm guessing more typically) a notated dual license
will be part of a larger expression (i.e. the dual license will cover
only a part of the code that makes up the package). I don't know if
it's important to say anything about that. I'd ultimately like to see
(maybe in some other document) some real world examples (involving
real Fedora packages!) to illustrate the kinds of general guidelines
being given here.

Richard