Re: Fedora license categories

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 3:53 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Separately, I wonder if Fedora really needs separate categories for
> > software and documentation, if the criteria for approval are basically
> > the same -- essentially, whether the license is libre (by Fedora's own
> > assessment) -- except that documentation licenses are seen as normally
> > unsuitable for software. It is clear (to me at least) that any good
> > Fedora software license should be good for documentation as well, if
> > only because in practice documentation in packages is often covered by
> > the software license -- indeed, this is probably much more common than
> > cases where a special documentation license is used.
> Interesting question here... perhaps for the time being we keep the
> distinction, if nothing else than the ease of human minds tendency to
> think about software and documentation as being different. Again, the
> rationale and explanation should be explicit in the legal/licensing
> pages. (seems like some of this email will be a helpful start for said
> explanations!)

I agree, should keep the distinction for now. I am a little worried
that there is some assumed line between "non-documentation content"
and "documentation" that has been formulated out of convenience (e.g.,
if some file is under a no-derivatives type of license, Fedora has
struggled to see that type of file as a "non-documentation content"
file rather than a "documentation content" file. But that's just a
hunch right now, and anyway could be better addressed with more
clearly defined categories and guidance.

Richard