Re: Fedora license categories

Dne 06. 12. 21 v 22:50 Richard Fontana napsal(a):
A bunch of us are looking into various possible changes in how the
information on Fedora good/bad licenses is maintained, reviewed,
classified and represented. One aspect of this is the likely effective
replacement of such wiki pages as
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main with a repository (such
as https://pagure.io/fedora-legal/license-data). Among other things
this has prompted a review of how licenses are currently categorized
by Fedora. In particular, Fedora has separate lists of good and bad
licenses for content
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Good_Licenses_3
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Bad_Licenses_3
and for documentation
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Good_Licenses_2
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Bad_Licenses_2

A question that has arisen is whether we actually need to treat
documentation and content as separate categories. "Content" (and
documentation, software, fonts, etc.) are not defined in that wiki

I will cast my opinion.

No. We do not need to separate it. But on the other hand, it helps human identify for which it is primary good for.

I am +1 for storing the list somewhere in machine readable format (easily readable, not on wiki). But at the same time I am -1 for removing the wiki as it provides extra space for documenting and explaining.

I want to point to new tool I have created license-validate. See the thread on devel mailing list

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/UATFWOAELVE2ZJHHYN63CRVS22FZYK5D/

Right now it contains manualy synced list of approved licenses copied from the wiki

https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/fedora-approved-licenses.txt

And BNF grammar of allowed constructs.

Miroslav