Re: ttyp0 font license

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But that implies that a word can't contain another word, I think?

Now we're having fun!

> "UWash" for example I would argue contains a number of words ("ash",
> "wash", "as", "a", for starters). Unless "word" has a special
> domain-specific meaning in the world of font foundry names (does it?)
> it is not clear to me that this developer would agree that "UWash"
> does not violate the restriction.

The most reasonable interpretation in my view is that the context
matters. So a word that is a variation of the form would be the same
"word" for the purposes of the licence. For example, "ash" and
"ashen". But if it's a string that happens to appear in another,
unrelated word, they are separate words. For example, "ash" and
"wash". In my original example, the fact that "UWash" is a name the
University of Washington uses supports the "it's not the same word"
argument. If I were to name a font "uwash-ttyp0", the "they're
separate words" case is weaker, but not a slam dunk.

I don't think you're arguing against the general concept (e.g. ASL 2.0
section 6), so the question is really "what's the minimum length?" If
General Electric released software under ASL 2.0 (replacing "Apache"
with "General Electric"), section 6 would preclude using "GE" in the
name of a derivative as that is a trademark of General Electric. So I
think we have to be okay with two-letter names if we're okay with ASL,
don't we? Similarly, calling a derivative work "stoneage", while it
contains the consecutive letters "g" and "e", seems obviously
acceptable under ASL 2.0 section 6.

I understand the philosophical issue with restricting renaming
generally. But I think if we go down that road, that represents a
significant policy shift from our past practice.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His