Re: Do we need to strip code with use restrictions from the tarball, or is deleting in %prep enough?

* Miro Hrončok:

> Assuming an upstream tarball contains one example file under the BSD
> license with the following usage restriction:
>
>  * You acknowledge that Software is not designed, licensed or intended for
>  * use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear
>  * facility.
>
> Can we rm that nonfree file in %prep, or do we need to strip it from
> the tarball as well?

I think this has been carefully worded so that it does not constitute a
field-of-use restriction.  If I'm correct, this is not in itself a
reason why the license is not acceptable to Fedora.

Here's a similar example:

| […]  THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR USE OR RESALE AS
| ON-LINE CONTROL EQUIPMENT IN HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENTS REQUIRING
| FAIL-SAFE PERFORMANCE, SUCH AS IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES,
| AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL,
| DIRECT LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, OR WEAPONS SYSTEMS, IN WHICH THE FAILURE
| OF THE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD DIRECTLY TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR
| SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE ("HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES"). […]

<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:MIT?rd=Licensing/MIT#Nuclear_Variant>

Thanks,
Florian