Re: BSD like license with strange wording?

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 6:52 AM Robert-André Mauchin <zebob.m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following license is lifted from a code coming from NetBSD
> (ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/sjg/ ) but I cannot find exactly
> the text of this license anywhere else:
>
> #       This file is provided in the hope that it will
> #       be of use.  There is absolutely NO WARRANTY.
> #       Permission to copy, redistribute or otherwise
> #       use this file is hereby granted provided that
> #       the above copyright notice and this notice are
> #       left intact.
>
> Is this considered BSD-like?

Maybe! How old is it?

There's a loose precedent of accepting these sorts of short permissive
licenses so long as there's nothing to indicate that they're intending
to disallow modification. "Otherwise use" could certainly be construed
to permit modification in this case. But it's generally applied to
text from, say, 25ish years ago. So if it's very old, we could permit
it. If it's from this century, it's probably better for upstream to
put a "real" license on it.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His