Re: Steinberg VST3 SDK

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 6:37 PM Benjamin Beasley
<code@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I fear these additional terms may make the VST3 SDK unsuitable for packaging in Fedora.

Agreed. "or when the SDK is included" stands out to me as a problem,
even though it isn't included on our install media.

It reminds me of several licenses on the "Bad license list", rejected
for their "badgeware" requirements:
Zimbra Public License 1.3 (section 3.2):
https://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra-public-license-1-3.html
Terracotta Public License 1.0 (section 14):
http://svn.terracotta.org/svn/ehcache/tags/ehcache-2.9.0/distribution/src/main/assembly/root/licenses/EHCACHE-TERRACOTTA-LICENSE.txt

> If so, the subset of the VST3 SDK bundled in the giada package (which I recently started maintaining) may need to be removed as well. However, I would appreciate input from this list before proceeding in either direction—either removing the bundled SDK (hopefully doing so in %prep would be sufficient)

You should remove it from the package sources before uploading it to
the lookaside cache. Download the source from upstream, remove the
unshippable parts, and then create a new tarball that is used in the
spec file. For example, this is what openssl does:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/openssl/blob/rawhide/f/openssl.spec#_27

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His