Re: ASL 2.0 with exceptions

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 2:31 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Please also add it as an entry in this file:
> > >

> > Let's just stick with Richard's advice on this thread earlier:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 12:52 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyway, as for Fedora, I think the easiest thing to do here in the
> > > short term is to just use "ASL 2.0" and ignore the exception.
> >
> > --
> > Ben Cotton
> > He / Him / His
> > Senior Program Manager, Fedora & CentOS Stream
> > Red Hat
> > TZ=America/Indiana/Indianapolis
> >

> Is that a good idea given that the exception is necessary for GPL
> applications to link to CUPS?

The exception is still part of the license; the question is just
whether it is a detail that should be reflected in the license
metadata.

My argument is that most Fedora users probably won't care, and those
that do aren't going to rely on license metadata anyway. Also, "ASL
2.0 with exceptions" doesn't tell you what the exception is, anyway
(and a Fedora user might not even be sure that the exception is a
permissive exception).

Richard