Re: JPL NAIF/Spice toolkit license

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 5:15 PM Pamela Chestek <pchestek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Curious why the absence of any kind of license grant isn't a non-starter ...

Oh yes, that too :-)

I'm not completely sure if this page applies to the toolkit:
https://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/rules.html

But I might read it as indicating that NASA is informally granting a
very broad "SunRPC-style" license. In particular:
"Simple redistribution of the complete Toolkit, such as from a mirror
site, is prohibited without prior clearance from NAIF. However,
including the SPICE Toolkit library modules and relevant SPICE Toolkit
programs and allied User Guides as part of a package supporting a
customer-built SPICE-based tool is entirely appropriate."

The SunRPC restriction by itself would make the terms non-FOSS.

Richard

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 4:19 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 2:38 PM Mattia Verga
>> <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > The libpasastro package is going to bundle the NAIF/Spice toolkit from Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
>> > The source code seems to be publicly available, no license file is included with the code, but in the headers there's this license text:
>> >
>> >    THIS SOFTWARE AND ANY RELATED MATERIALS WERE CREATED BY THE
>> >    CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (CALTECH) UNDER A U.S.
>> >    GOVERNMENT CONTRACT WITH THE NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE
>> >    ADMINISTRATION (NASA). THE SOFTWARE IS TECHNOLOGY AND SOFTWARE
>> >    PUBLICLY AVAILABLE UNDER U.S. EXPORT LAWS AND IS PROVIDED "AS-IS"
>> >    TO THE RECIPIENT WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING ANY
>> >    WARRANTIES OF PERFORMANCE OR MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
>> >    PARTICULAR USE OR PURPOSE (AS SET FORTH IN UNITED STATES UCC
>> >    SECTIONS 2312-2313) OR FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER, FOR THE
>> >    SOFTWARE AND RELATED MATERIALS, HOWEVER USED.
>> >
>> >    IN NO EVENT SHALL CALTECH, ITS JET PROPULSION LABORATORY, OR NASA
>> >    BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES AND/OR COSTS, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
>> >    LIMITED TO, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND,
>> >    INCLUDING ECONOMIC DAMAGE OR INJURY TO PROPERTY AND LOST PROFITS,
>> >    REGARDLESS OF WHETHER CALTECH, JPL, OR NASA BE ADVISED, HAVE
>> >    REASON TO KNOW, OR, IN FACT, SHALL KNOW OF THE POSSIBILITY.
>> >
>> >    RECIPIENT BEARS ALL RISK RELATING TO QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF
>> >    THE SOFTWARE AND ANY RELATED MATERIALS, AND AGREES TO INDEMNIFY
>> >    CALTECH AND NASA FOR ALL THIRD-PARTY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM THE
>> >    ACTIONS OF RECIPIENT IN THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE.
>> >
>> > Is this license acceptable for inclusion in Fedora? I have a doubt about the part "PUBLICLY AVAILABLE UNDER U.S. EXPORT LAWS"...
>>
>> My concern would be the "agree to indemnify" clause at the end.
>> Historically, Fedora has rejected several FOSS-like licenses because
>> of overbroad requirements to indemnify upstream licensors (there are
>> narrower ones in certain commonly-encountered FOSS licenses -- Apache
>> License 2.0, various versions of the MPL, and IIRC various members of
>> the EPL family -- that are treated as acceptable, if only because
>> they've been grandparented in).
>>
>> I'm open to being convinced that arbitrary indemnification obligations
>> should be acceptable in FOSS licenses, but I'm not aware that anyone
>> has yet made that argument.
>>
>> Richard

 924560232781635784812612