Re: An old legal opinion seems to have been forgotten

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The issue here (at least the only one I'm aware of) was that the
> package contains WSDL files that are nominally under a license that
> does not meet Fedora's policy on acceptable licenses.
>
> The default conclusion here should be that the package is not
> acceptable for Fedora. However, if you or anyone else would like to
> provide an explanation of how these files are used in this package,
> that might support a different conclusion. I do not really have the
> bandwidth to look into this myself.

Arguably, this file is content, not code. In that case, it should be
acceptable under the "content licenses may restrict modification"
exception:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Good_Licenses_3

CC BY-ND is acceptable under that same policy. The only restriction
imposed by the notice in the files the prohibition against
modifcation:

> Recipients of this document may copy, distribute, publish, or display this document so long as this copyright notice, license and disclaimer are retained with all copies of the document. No license is granted to modify this document.

So the main question would be if WSDL files can be treated as content
or if they're code. A search of this list's archives for "WSDL" only
returns the message I'm replying to. I haven't yet been able to find
external precedent.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His