Re: FlexiBLAS as BLAS/LAPACK manager - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 16:20, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Would the maintainer consider switching the whole thing to LGPLv3?
> > > This would preserve the freeness of his code and be much less hassle
> > > for everyone involved, with no interpretation of new legal texts required.
> >
> > LGPL has other implications towards proprietary software, and that's
> > what the authors specifically want to protect, so that's a hard line.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. LGPL keeps the code free but allows it to be
> freely combined with software under different licenses, which is what we
> want in this case.

Yeap, but it's more permissive also with the FlexiBLAS interface (the
one that enables hooking into the duplicated BLAS/LAPACK interface,
the one that BLAS/LAPACK consumers are not using), and this is what
the authors do not want.

> > Wouldn't the Classpath Exception [1] be appropriate here? This
> > wouldn't require the interpretation of a new legal text.
>
> Classpath exception talks about "executable". This isn't very precise,
> but at least in normal speech, a library is not an executable, so the
> classpath exception would not cover other libraries which link to
> flexiblass. So for example, numpy would not be covered by the exception.

True. But what about the "Linking over a controlled interface
exception"? That sounds like exactly this case:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#LinkingOverControlledInterface

--
Iñaki Úcar