Re: FlexiBLAS as BLAS/LAPACK manager - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 19:28:53 +0200
Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm no expert, but the FAQ says:
>
> "You have a GPLed program that I'd like to link with my code to build
> a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program
> mean I have to GPL my program? (#LinkingWithGPL)
>
> Not exactly. It means you must release your program under a license
> compatible with the GPL (more precisely, compatible with one or more
> GPL versions accepted by all the rest of the code in the combination
> that you link). The combination itself is then available under those
> GPL versions."
>
> So my understanding is that it's ok for a program to link to FlexiBLAS
> if its license is GPL-compatible, not necessarily GPL. But of course
> we would need confirmation from legal.

The library is GPLv3 only

https://gitlab.mpi-magdeburg.mpg.de/software/flexiblas-release#license

which already makes it incompatible with many GNU Licenses

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#GPL_Compatibility_Matrix

not to mention many other free licenses that are allowed in Fedora

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing#SoftwareLicenses
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor