Re: Legal blockers regarding WSL release?

On 5/30/20 6:56 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 9:12 AM CJ Harries <thecjharries@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2. WSL 2 introduced a boilerplate project to connect new distros (http://web.archive.org/web/https://github.com/microsoft/WSL-DistroLauncher). I believe (haven't tested; please correct me if wrong) it can be run only using newer Microsoft FOSS tools under an MIT license. Could this tool be used in an official capacity? If not, what are the blockers?

This boilerplate existed in WSL 1. I've got some work laying around
based on some of the work the SUSE folks did to adapt it to build
completely from Linux with our MinGW stack, but it's been blocked on
Fedora being able to officially support WSL...

Btw. I had a chance to play with WSL a bit, and few observations:

- WSL2 is not generally granted to everyone at this point
  (you need or at least needed to opt-in to some early
  access or Windows Insider Program, which you can't do
  in various circumstances)

- for WSL1 experiments, this project was really handy, and with
  little bit of extra work, can be cross-compiled in Fedora:
  https://github.com/DDoSolitary/LxRunOffline
  (perhaps it could be part of Fedora try-out medium, either
  live DVD or a medium generated by hand with a respective
  tooling, which could, moreover, carry the source image
  to use as a starting point -- allowing people to experience
  Fedora without any major disruption to their flow when
  stuck with Windows and not wanting to fiddle with
  full-blown virtualization, on their own pace; even
  graphical part could work over network connection?
  too bad Xming went proprietary, but still, there is
  https://x.cygwin.com/)

- unfortunately, despite my effort to set this all up,
  Fedora is currently rather unusable under WSL1, because
  of the mmap-related bug in WSL1 code that affects RPM:
  https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/3939
  -- it is allegedly fixed in Windows Insider Build 18890,
  but I cannot verify it at this point either, but it could
  imply fix in the current May 2020 update (version 2004);
  I think this paid "Fedora Remix for WSL" in Microsoft
  Store sort of hijacks the standard package distribution
  so they can inject their own version of RPM/libdb, but
  for me, it would breach the trust contract to source
  packages from them, not to speak about possible license
  infringements (couldn't find their patches, but perhaps,
  I just didn't try hard enough, or it is all a different
  story)

Well, one never knows, which neglected uses cases will
be in demand the next day, and if it helps to raise
awareness about Fedora, I think it's not a bad idea
to at least keep this on radar.

My 1 CZK

--
Jan