Re: Mbrola voice files

On 16. 01. 19 15:39, Tomáš Korbař wrote:
Hi,
I'm currently packaging Mbrola speech synthetizer for Fedora and we ran into an issue.

Is it legal to package Mbrola voice files which have this https://github.com/numediart/MBROLA-voices/blob/master/LICENSE.md license?

IMHO no.

"this database may not be sold or incorporated into any product which is sold without prior permission from the particular author of the voice database file"

This restriction makes it non-free.

If it is not, then is it legal to ask user if he/she wants to download them and with his/her consent install them?

Doing this in Fedora is (or at least was) not allowed:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Packages_which_are_not_useful_without_external_bits

(Sorry for the staging wiki link, not sure why I don't see this in the new guidelines location, ccing tibbs - was this restriction lifted, moved to licensing or incorrectly dropped when moving to docs.fp.o?)

And then is it even allowed to package program into Fedora which is not useful without non-free files?

No. See above.

--
Miro Hrončok