Re: Logging IRC channels and GPDR

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:41:07PM -0400, Dusty Mabe wrote:
> /me waves at legal experts
>
> In the Fedora CoreOS community we'd like to log our IRC channel so we
> can refer back to conversations we've had or link people to conversations
> if they weren't in the channel and start a discussion with them while
> allowing them to gain full context.
>
> We were using botbot.me, but they will be shutting down soon [1]. We
> are looking to explore other options for this and are looking for legal
> help to know what we can and can not do. A few comments/questions:
>
> - logging channels seems to possibly conflict with GPDR
> - if we were to keep logs for a shorter period of time, would it help?
> - if an individual kept logs and provided a service, would that be
>   possible or would that possibly have implications for the individual's
>   employer?
> - Are fedora irc meeting logs something that should have GPDR concern?
>     - If not, why not? Could the same reason apply to a general channel?
>
> Do you have any advice on how we can achieve this goal?
>
> See [2] where we have been having this discussion in Fedora CoreOS community.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!
> Dusty
>
> [1] https://lincolnloop.com/blog/saying-goodbye-botbotme/
> [2] https://github.com/coreos/fedora-coreos-tracker/issues/11#issuecomment-426069775

While IANAL, here is some guidance I can give based on recent
experience in looking at the GDPR:

The Fedora Project has a legitimate business interest in maintaining
records that sometimes have personally identifying information.  This
is balanced against GDPR rights such as the so-called "right to be
forgotten," which itself is not unlimited.  This is a basis on which
we maintain records like email archives and other communications the
community uses to research, analyze, understand, and act on background
or other information.

A limited lifespan for communications certainly means less risk of
upsetting that balance.  So if you intend these communications to be
archived for only a window of a week or two, that's helpful.

It would be a good idea to inform all channel users about any
round-the-clock logging.  I'd recommend text like "NOTE: This channel
is logged at all times for historical and decision purposes. Logs are
retained for <$TIME> and can be found here: <$URL>."  I'd also
recommend having a bot that echoes a notice to the channel routinely,
at least every few hours (hourly would be even better).  The point is
to make sure no one is under-informed.

I do not recommend an individual do the logging or retention, since I
don't know whether they'd have the same level of legitimacy in
retaining information as the Fedora Project does.

Given what I know about GDPR and our project, the above seems
reasonable.  Periodic IRC meetings have different sets of
expectations.