Re: Policy for test suites with 'Bad Licenses'

On 08/21/2018 10:30 PM, Tom Stellard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at incorporating the llvm test-suite[1] into the Fedora
> CI testing for the clang package.  The test suite is a collection of source
> code under several different licenses. One of the licenses
> (Aladdin Free Public License)[2] is on the 'Bad License' list[3].
> Does the 'Bad License' list apply only to code we package or does
> it apply even to something we might use only of testing purposes.

It applies to code we distribute. This includes tests, if they're in the
SRPM. As far as code that is purely in our CI suite, I feel that we
would want our licensing standards to apply there as well.

The particular license has a non-commercial use clause, and it is
unclear if the author would consider use in Fedora's CI (since that is
owned/operated by Red Hat) as commercial use. My understanding was
ghostscript no longer uses this license, so the Malloc Benchmark Suite
fork must be rather old (and git confirms that this code dates back to
2003). Current ghostscript is under the AGPL, I feel strongly it would
be worth the effort to migrate this benchmark to the newer gs code.

~tom