License for data files about 3D printing materials

Hi,

there is a repository with data about 3D printing materials [1] that I'd like to package as a soft dependency for the Cura package.

It didn't have any license information and Gregor Riepl (I believe from Debian) opened an issue asking for it [2].

The authors of the data clam that the data cannot has its license and simply is (by default) accessible to all freely. After a long discussion, they went with a solution: Add a LICENSE file that they believe is only for the CMakeLists.txt file in that repository, but tell me I can believe it belongs to the whole repo and everybody is supposed to be happy [3].

However, when adding the LICENSE file (with CC0), this is the commit message [4]:

> This license only applies to the CMakeLists.txt file since that is the
> only creative expression in here, according to one of our IP guys.

(They cannot make it easy, can they?)

Clearly, I was informed this LICENSE *does not apply* for the data files. However, I was informed publicly in that issue that:

> All files in this repository can be seen as part of the public domain.
> Anyone is free to use them in any way they want.

Clearly, the authors / copyright holders:

 1. want the content to be redistributed freely
 2. do not think that content is copyrightable

The intent here is clear: Public Domain. However the information is quite hard to grasp. I cannot, in my best effort, include that LICENSE file and pretend it belongs to everything in that repository (ignoring the commit message).

Should I print the issue comments log to a PDF (or save as HTML) and include that in the package %license as well?

Thanks for any way out of this.

[1] https://github.com/Ultimaker/fdm_materials
[2] https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/1779
[3] https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/1779#issuecomment-311312453