Re: Policy change on emulators

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 03:23:45PM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
>> Are the FreeDOS sources under a Fedora-acceptable license?
>
> Probably needs review. It's mostly GPLv2, but some of the included
> software has various other licenses. See
> <http://www.freedos.org/software/?cat=util>. I'm looking with the Fry
> meme* at a couple that say "Source code available (open)".
>
> * https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Futurama-Fry.jpg

As far as I'm aware, all of the core of FreeDOS is GPLv2, but various
extra utilities may be under other licenses. Things that we can't
include are probably easy enough to remove.

The real problem is going to be building FreeDOS from source. As far
as I know, we don't have a FOSS compiler that can produce 16-bit
binaries. There is OpenWatcom, but its license is listed as one of the
bad ones. Anyone know anybody at Sybase/SAP would could fix this?
SAP appears to be the current copyright holder for the code, as they
acquired Sybase in 2012.