Re: Confusion between GPL-3.0 and GPL-3.0+

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 06:47:47AM +0100, Mattia Verga wrote:
> But what about if the package carries a
> Copyright.txt file which says "license: GPL-3"? Does it wins over source
> headers?

It really depends on the circumstances, but if all the source file
notices say "GPLv3 or later" I would probably assume that the entire
program is GPLv3-or-later even if this is not explicit in the global
copyright file.

> I'm asking because I'm in this situation while packaging "Indistarter" in
> Fedora. I'm now waiting for a clarification about the software author, but I
> would like to know what to say him for fixing this situation. Does he have
> to change source headers if he want to ship as GPLv3 only? There's no such
> case on gnu.org as it seems that the only option complied is GPLv3+.

I took a look myself (if this is the 'indistarter' project hosted on
SourceForge) and I would conclude it's GPLv3-or-later since the source
files bearing the project maintainer's copyright and license notices
all use "or later" (bare 'GPLv3' only appears in files with license
metadata), and there's nothing I could see that suggested there was
'GPLv3 only' code.

Richard