Re: LICENSE file for spec files

Hi,

On Tue, 2015-09-22 at 20:35 +0000, Vladimir Rusinov wrote:
> I working on a project where I'd like to distribute several Fedora
> spec files with some local modifications (which would not make sense
> in Fedora).
>
> Now, my organisation requires me to put all third-party code under
> third_party/ directory of the repo, along with readme file describing
> where it was taken from, list of local modifications and original
> LICENSE file.
>
> Ok, so I go to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licen
> sing#License_of_Fedora_SPEC_Files where I can find that all Fedora
> spec files licensed under MIT.

Not really, no. The default license for spec files in Fedora is MIT.

That means that if the package maintainer didn't chose any license
explicitly, then the spec file is MIT.

Some package maintainers do choose to use another licence for their
spec files, for example "php-smbclient" is under the CC-By-SA-4.0
license:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/php-smbclient.git/tree/php-smbclient
.spec

Make sure you check every spec file you use if they have an explicit
license (this should usually be obvious, as a comment in the very first
lines of the spec file), and if you can't find anything, then you can
assume the spec file is MIT.

--
Mathieu