Re: Adding Red Hat product installers to EPEL

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 3:00 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> but realistically, the tools are not usable
> without a Red Hat subscription.

Not a legal opinion here, but one of packaging guidelines:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Packages_which_are_not_useful_without_external_bits

I'm not certain that this particular clause reads on exactly what
you're talking about here - IIRC, it was added because someone wanted
to add a downloader for some non-free content that was itself free
(i.e. the downloader was free software, however the content that it
downloaded was not). However, this seems like it at least somewhat
applies, since you need a Red Hat subscription to do anything useful
with these tools.

Also, as Tom has mentioned, what specific tools are we talking about?
Might they be useful if the upstream packages of this Red Hat product
were to be installed? This might help in having a more productive
discussion.