Re: [RFC] Switching to SPDX in license tags

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 02:03:43PM +0200, Haïkel wrote:
> SPDX (Software Package Data Exchange) is a specification hosted by the
> Linux Foundation defining
> a standard format for communicating components, licenses and
> copyrights associated with a software package.
> https://spdx.org/
>
> It would make it much easier collaborating with other distributions
> and upstream projects.

What distros or upstream projects are actually using the SPDX format?
I am not aware of any.

> On a more practical side, it would mean standardizing on SPDX short
> identifier to design licenses
> and exceptions in all our packages.
> https://spdx.org/spdx-license-list

I am aware of some projects using these identifiers. However, Fedora's
use of license abbreviations is different in nature from that of SPDX,
so I'd be concerned that use of the SPDX abbreviations would result in
confusion (or else a costly change to Fedora's practices).

(Separately I consider the SPDX identifiers problematic because in a
number of cases they clash with common organic community abbreviations
which happen to be in wide use in the Fedora community.)

RF