Re: Copyright Submission Proposal

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 01:55:44PM -0400, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> [...]

If this is a hooked-up-to-FAS thing covered by the FPCA (which seems
to be the case but someone tell me if that's wrong or dubious), then
yes, the default license is a Creative Commons license (more
precisely, the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
license along with our time-honored passive-aggressive "waiver of the
right to enforce, and an agreement not to assert, Section 4d of
CC-BY-SA against the Fedora Community, to the fullest extent permitted
by applicable law" along with "a grant of additional copyright
permission to distribute or make available to the public a copy of a
GPL-Covered Derivative of the Contribution under the terms of the
applicable version of the GPL, with no conditions of CC-BY-SA that
would be treated as "further restrictions" within the meaning of the
applicable version of the GPL surviving such distribution with respect
to that copy.").

I should note that the FPCA is designed to be consistent with
individual choice of non-default licenses. However, I think it would
be odd as a policy matter to allow NC-ND as an explicit licensing
choice.

> > I would *personally* prefer the most restrictive of the CC licenses (CC
> > BY-NC-ND 4.0):
> >
> > https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
>

> #2:  CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 is listed in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing as a license that isn't acceptable for Fedora. I realize you're citing 4.0 here, and we don't have guidance on 4.0 in the wiki, but I have to imagine it's not going to be much of a change. The NC part is still NC... as you said, it's the most restrictive, and at least in my opinion, restrictiveness isn't exactly freedom-enabling :)

With the caveat that I'm hearing about this for the first time and
completely out of context, the NC-ND proposal actually seems worse
than going back to the horrific days of the Open Publication
License. :)

Regarding the 4.0 series, this is something that should be looked
at. My general impression is that the 4.0 CC licenses are an
improvement over the 3.0 series.

 - RF