Re: Licensing of Apache UIMAJ

On 01/16/2014 09:28 AM, Michael Simacek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm doing a review of Apache UIMAJ, which is licensed under ASL 2.0.
> But there is a NOTICE file, which says:
> Apache UIMA
> Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> This product includes software developed at
> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
> Portions of UIMA were originally developed by
> International Business Machines Corporation and are
> licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
> "Software Grant License Agreement", informally known as the
> "IBM UIMA License Agreement".
> Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.

This is IBM's agreement to:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt

> What does it mean in context of Fedora packaging? Can it be included in Fedora?
> Should the License tag reflect that somehow?

It means that IBM gave (granted) permissions for their code to the
Apache Software Foundation (specifically, a copyright and patent
license). Apache is distributing that code under ASL 2.0, in accordance
with that grant. We do not need to indicate that license in the package,
since the UIMA work is wholly sublicensed under ASL 2.0.

~tom

==
University Outreach || Fedora Special Projects || Fedora Legal