Re: Use of IBM AIX logo

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 05:54:51PM +0100, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in our open-source project Foreman we use various Linux distro icons,
> example screenshot:
>
> http://theforeman.org/static/images/screenshots/host_listing.png

FWIW you're on shaky ground even with Linux distro icons.  See for
example the license for using the Ubuntu (or even Fedora) trademarks.

I started a thread about this a while back, see:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/legal/2011-April/thread.html#1604

Libguestfs works around this issue like this: It offers a way to
download the icon from the virtual machine and display that.  It
doesn't store or ship any icons itself.  Virt-manager (and others) are
able to display OS icons, including for Windows, using that method.

If you read a bit further down that thread, you'll see that this
method should be OK, although there are still limitations in how we
display the icons.

I'm not sure what the implications are for Foreman however.  Perhaps
it can extract the icon from CD / PXE images?

Rich.