Re: Trademark issue: "ubuntu" in package name

On 10.10.2013 16:36, Tom Callaway wrote:
On 10/10/2013 05:51 AM, Sandro Mani wrote:
Hello,

I've got a pending review request for "ubuntu-keyring" (see [1]) where
the reviewer correctly pointed out that there may be a trademark issue
with the package name containing the word "ubuntu". I've tried
contacting Canonical to ask whether we are allowed to use ubuntu in
package names, but they have not replied to date (inquiry was sent 10
days ago). This potential trademark issue also affects the package
"ubuntu-title-fonts", see [2].

I would like to ask whether anyone here has already dealt with a
precedent issue of this kind, and if so how such issues were resolved.
Specifically, maybe someone has already approached Canonical for such
issues?
Canonical says explicitly not to do this:

(from: http://www.canonical.com/intellectual-property-policy)

   You cannot use the Trademarks in software titles. If you are
   producing software for use with or on Ubuntu you may reference
   Ubuntu, but must avoid: (i) any implication of endorsement, or (ii)
   any attempt to unfairly or confusingly capitalise on the goodwill of
   Canonical or Ubuntu.

Short of explicit permission from Canonical, we should not do this.

Thanks for your reply. I changed the package name to ubu-keyring.

Sandro