Re: xephem license

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> HI lawyers,

Most of us are not lawyers.  If you would like official legal advice,
you need to retain a lawyer.

> I'm packaging xephem, but they don't use a standard license but this:
>
> http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/xephem.html
>
> Can you help me and tell me if it's free or not?

It is clearly not free because of the following:

The first clause limits the application's usage only to education or
publicly funded research institutions.

The second clause prevents code from being used in other applications.

The fourth clause prohibits modification.

The license is non-free and this is not suitable for a Fedora package.

josh