Re: Starting a Project

On 05/31/2013 07:26 PM, Benjamin Adams wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm looking to start a project on my own.  I would like to grow it to a
> stable state and a clear direction.  Once it's built I would like to
> integrate it into Fedora.
>
> Question is what License would work best for the project to integrate
> with Redhat's Open source model?
>
> Not sure if this really matters but I know Fedora doesn't include some
> software because of licensing issues.
>
> aka: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems
>
> I'm guessing I can pick any of these:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing
>
> As long as it's FSF = yes

The only advice I can give (not legal advice, please note):

* Use a free software license (and do not write your own).
* Do not implement things which are known to be patented (unless you
have an unrestricted patent grant in writing from the patent holder)
* Do not implement things which circumvent a copyright protection scheme.
* Do not depend on other components which do one of the above. :)

hth,

~tom

==
Fedora Project