Re: Is this following guidelines?

On 18/01/13 08:40, Frank Murphy wrote:
> Uncertain if remix,
> or botched LiveMedia?
> http://tinyurl.com/bz8yjrv (eBay)
>
> Full Link
> http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Fedora-18-Phoronix-Linux-2GB-USB-Bootable-Startup-FLASH-DRIVE-PLUG-n-GO-/160956571704?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item2579c26038
>
> <snip>
> Summary
> As with most versions of Linux, you can do the following, from the
> outset...
> Play MP3 files
> </snip>

I believe that it is probably ok in terms of the software. The reason
being, that USB devices are usually unmodified Fedora install images.
There appears to be an overlay with that.
Secondly, I think we always allowed others to redistribute Fedora, even
for a small fee. The fact that the redistributer has installed
additional software, in this case, should be irrelevant, as Ireland/UK
are in the EU and the software resides on the overlay image.
Fedora itself cannot link to other sources of patented content though,
as Fedora/Red Hat is legally based in the US.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines?rd=Legal/TrademarkGuidelines#New_combinations_of_unmodified_Fedora_software

Only question that remains is the issue of the Fedora based images
he/she is using, which imho is always open to interpretation.

Also, technically, showing a USB stick with the Fedora logo on, might be
misleading, and if this is not misleading, then he/she should have
sought permission imho.

The guidelines should probably be updated though, as the guidelines
refer to mainly optical media.

I am sure Richard/Spot can give a more accurate answer though.

Regards,

Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx