Re: License question

On 08/07/2012 07:38 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> I don't recognize the text of this license in a piece of software I need
> to package as a dependency. The license listed on PyPi is "Freeware"
> which doesn't seem right (and isn't a valid option anyway) but the
> actual license text looks more permissive, except for the bit about "The
> Software shall be used for Good, not Evil." That clause looks like it
> might cause us some trouble...
>
> Can I get a legal opinion? (The complete sources of the utility are
> attached, including the license text in question).
>
> I'm also going to contact upstream to see if I can get a license
> clarification.

As several other people have noted, this is the infamous jsmin license.
The upstream jsmin author takes a perverse pleasure in people ramming
headfirst into this nonsensical clause, and has repeatedly stated that
he will not remove it or reword it in such a way to resolve the issues
it causes.

http://wonko.com/post/jsmin-isnt-welcome-on-google-code has some of the
backstory.

~tom